For many many years, this has been an LJ tradition. I missed a couple years, and did it last year. And I was stumped on a list, so I figure why not put it here!
This is something that’s been done for years. I hope that others will pass it on, and pass on the love.
– Make a post (public, friendslocked, filtered…whatever you’re comfortable with) to your LJ. The post should contain your list of 10 holiday wishes. The wishes can be anything at all, from simple and fun (“I’d love a Snape/Hermione icon that’s just for me”) to medium (“I wish for _____ on DVD”) to really big (“All I want for Christmas is a new car/computer/house/TV.”) The important thing is, make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.
– If you wish for real possible things, make sure you include some sort of contact info in your post, whether it’s your address or just your email address where Santa (or one of his elves) could get in touch with you. (can email me using my info in my profile 🙂 )
– Also, make sure you post some version of these guidelines in your blog, so that the holiday joy will spread.
– Surf around your friendslist (or friendsfriends, or just random journals) to see who has posted their list.
And now here’s the important part:
– If you see a wish you can grant, and it’s in your heart to do so, make someone’s wish come true. Sometimes someone’s trash is another’s treasure, and if you have a leather jacket you don’t want or a gift certificate you won’t use–or even know where you could get someone’s dream purebred Basset Hound for free–do it.
You needn’t spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn’t to put people out, it’s to provide everyone a chance to be someone else’s holiday elf–to spread the joy. Gifts can be made anonymously or not–it’s your call.
There are no rules with this project, no guarantees, and no strings attached. Just…wish, and it might come true. Give, and you might receive. And you’ll have the joy of knowing you made someone’s holiday special.
Now, my list in no particular order!
1 ~ specially made icons from: NCIS, especially Abby and McGee, Doctor Who, Firefly, Wicked, RENT, Battlestar Galactica (the new series), Almost Famous, Lilo and Stitch, Peanuts, Garfield, or lyrics from The Frames, the Swell Season, Virginia Coalition, Carbon Leaf, a lot of other bands (if you want to know ask), and especially poetry lines from Yeats, Coleridge, Whitman, etc. I would love some Portugal World Cup 2010 icons, as well as any from Benfica or Real Madrid.
2 ~ gift cards from PetCo, Drugstore/Beauty.com, Ebay, Philosophy, Amazon, Borders, PetSmart, Target, Sephora, Best Buy, Bath and Body Works, Microsoft Xbox points/extend my XBL membership, eBay, LUSH… etc. For either fun things for me or normal boring stuff like litter and food for my cats.
7 ~ Donations to: The Warrior Foundation of San Diego, Cat Adoption Team and Friends of Felines in Wilmington NC, Best Friends Society of Provo Utah, Veterinary Cancer Society, the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center in Hutchinson KS, or your local library.
8 ~ I’d love to get Christmas/Holiday cards in the mail. I like getting mail.
9 ~ Frequent Flier miles for American Airlines, Delta/Northwest, US Airways, Southwest.
10 ~ A Month at the Museum T-Shirt from the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago (Size XL).
Like I said.. This is for fun 🙂 It’s just something fun to do. 🙂